Gray Hair… I remember the day I saw my first gray hair. Yes this is exactly how I looked !!! I screamed. I asked my mom to check it more than 30 times whether its true!!! Yes Peeps I am bit of a drama queen when it comes to my hair.
Its been more than 5 years and now I don’t care anymore. Why because over the years, I have developed this hair oil to cover my gray hair. The reason I opted for this hair oil to cover my grays is because I have tried it all. I have tried Henna, Hair Colors, Mixing henna and Indigo, Trying different Hair Masks and hair rinses but eventually either most of them made my hair dry, rough and frizzy. Some were even worse and made my scalp itchy and flaky. Plus most of them washed away and didn’t stay on my hair for longer duration. And as you all know me, I am really lazy and I don’t wish to go through the trouble of applying henna or colors on weekly basis. Hence, I researched a lot. Trust me, a hell lot !!! I read lot of Ayurvedic books and asked my Dad (he is Ayurvedic doctor) and my Mom and my Naani (my live collection of secret remedies.!!!) And finally I made this oil.
You might like
- Try this Magical Hibiscus Hair oil to solve all your Hair Problems !!!
- How to Stop Excessive Hair Fall??? – My Story plus a FREE Printable !!!
Diy Hair Oil to Cover Gray Hair
This oil is my personal secret recipe that actually helps me hide my grays really well and at the same time it nourishes and strengthens my hair.
It requires lot of ingredients but trust me most of them are either available in your kitchen or is readily available in market.
- Amla Juice (Gooseberry Juice) – 1 cup ( I used Patanjali’s Amla Juice but fresh extracted works best)
- Curry Leaves – 10 to 20 leaves
- Basil Leaves -10 t0 20 leaves
- Aloe Vera Gel – 4 TSP ( I used fresh extracted but you can use the ones available in the market.)
- Hibiscus Flower Petals – Petals of 3 to 4 flowers (If you don’t find these you can use hibiscus powder too)
- Sesame Oil – 2 cups
- Bottle Guard – 1 cup crushed (Don’t remove the skin)
- Bhringraj Powder – 2 TSP
- Rose Petal Powder – 2 TSP
- Neem Powder – 2 TSP
To make this oil, you need to use an Iron Container. But mine got begged, borrowed, stealed Lols!!! Hence, I am using this one. You can use any container to make your oil.
Step 1 : Take a container and add Sesame Oil and let it heat. Remember always to keep your oil at low flame !!!
Step 2 : Now after the oil gets heat up a bit, add Curry leaves, Basil leaves and Hibiscus Flower petals to it. Be careful it sizzles!!! (Just make sure you have washed these carefully and then let it dry before adding to oil. Also just cut it to two or three pieces with your hands before adding these to the oil.)
Step 3 : Keep Stirring for the next 10 to 15 minutes!!! After these start turning black, grate the Bottle Guard (Lauki) and add this to the oil.
Step 4 : Again keep it stirring occasionally so that it doesn’t get stuck to your container. Slowly bottle guard will start turning black and now its time to add the three powders, Bhringraj Powder, Rose Petal Powder and Neem Powder !!!
Step 5 : Keep stirring it until everything turns black. Don’t worry about it being burned down. It helps in hiding the grays well.
Step 6 : Add Aloe Vera gel and now stir for a minute and switch off the flame !!!
Step 7 : Let the Oil cool down.
Step 8 : Now strain this oil using a fine cloth in the container (preferably glass jar) that you wish to store the oil. Taddaa… The oil is ready to use !!!
- This oil takes time to make around 1 to 2 hours. It requires lot of patience but trust me the end result is all worth it.
- Keep the flame at low point continuously as high or medium flame might result in losing nutrients of the oil also if you keep it on high flame, the oil might catch fire.
- Keep stirring it to avoid it sitting on the ends of container.
- Strain it using a really fine cloth.
- Store it in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
- This oil has a shelf life of 1 month !!!
How to use the Oil
- Just heat it using double boiler method and massage it on your gray hair and scalp in circular motion.
- Keep it overnight for two times a week.
- The next day just give your hair and scalp a little steam for better penetration of oil into hair shaft.
- Then shampoo and condition as usual.
For better covering grays, do this too along with this oil
- Add ACV to your shampoo. Check full recipe here !!!
- Use a Coffee hair rinser on your hair.
- Use a diy hair color mask.
- Eat a balanced diet and drink lots of water.
Within a month you will see that this oil has done a great job hiding your grays and you will have your confidence back again. Go ahead and embrace the beauty of dark hair.
Hope you liked this post. Please share it with your friends or pin it for later. Also share your views via comments, because you all know your comments makes my day and makes me smile from ear to ear !!!