How are you doing??? I know I write a lot about covering your gray hair naturally. I have a Diy Hair Oil to cover Gray Hair, a DIY hair mask to have red tints to your hair and condition your hair at the same time as well as a hair rinse to help you cover gray hair naturally. But that’s because I know how much pain these gray hair cause us. Well I usually write about how I cover my gray hair naturally. But today, I am writing about how my mom covers her grays naturally. And mind you, my mom has the long, jet black and thick hair. She is actually the inspiration behind HCS.
Now let me share how she covers her gray hair naturally. My Mom uses a diy hair mask of henna and indigo. She has her own recipe to make this indigo and henna hair mask and I thought I should definitely share it with you guys. So lets get started.
Ingredients for Making Hair Mask of Henna and Indigo for Gray Hair
For making this hair mask you will need couple of more things as well along with henna and indigo.
You will need for making hair mask
- Henna powder
- Indigo powder
- Yogurt or Lemon Juice (Helps in releasing dye from henna)
- Salt (helps in releasing dye from indigo)
- Iron Wok (This helps in achieving darker color)
For preparing and application of hair mask, you will need
- Shower Cap (To help the mask from excess drying and dripping)
- Old t-shirt(Since this is a messy process wear old clothes)
- Towel (To protect your clothes from dripping)
- Brush (To apply the hair mask)
- Comb(To part sections while applying the mask)
- Gloves (To Prevent your hands from staining)
- Petroleum Jelly (To apply it around face and neckline to prevent from staining)
Lets Begin With the Step by Step Procedure to Make this Henna and Indigo Hair Mask
1. Take Iron wok and add 200gms of henna powder to it. Now add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or yogurt to henna and mix well. This is because lemon juice or yogurt contains Vitamin C which helps better dye release of henna and will help you have darker color.
2. Now add warm water slowly to henna and keep mixing it until you achieve yogurt like consistency or you form a thick but smooth paste. Keep this henna mixture overnight. Henna takes at least 8 hours to release dye.
Use a hair brush or a spoon to mix. Avoid using hands because it immediately stains your hands.
3. The next morning, just stir this soaked henna paste once and now add 200 gms Indigo Powder along with pinch of salt and mix well. Salt helps indigo to release dye and thus you will have darker color. If you think the paste is extremely thick you can add water to adjust its consistency as you desire.
4. Your diy hair mask of Henna and indigo for gray hair is ready to use.
Henna and Indigo Ratio
If you are looking to achieve jet black hair keep consistency of henna to indigo equal,i.e, 50:50 but if you are aiming to achieve brown color and not black then keep consistency of henna to indigo of about 2:1.
Add These Ingredients to Henna and Indigo to Control Hair Fall, Trigger Hair Growth and Deep Condition Your Hair at the Same Time – My Mom’s Secret Recipe <3
How to Apply Henna and Indigo for Gray Hair???
Before you start applying this hair mask, do some preps.
1. Apply petroleum jelly along your face line as well as ears to prevent them from staining. Wear your gloves and detangle your hair.
2. Now part small sections of your hair and apply this mask using the hair brush. Apply from roots to ends of your hair. Make sure you are covering each strand carefully and generously with this mask. Cover your entire hair length.
3. After you are done applying hair mask and covered your entire hair, tie it up using a rubber band or hair clip. If you have long hair go for bun.
4. Now cover your hair with a shower cap. This will ensure that your hair mask won’t drip or dry out and at the same time, because of shower cap the heat from your scalp helps in better trapping the hair color. If you don’t have shower cap, go for a plastic bag to cover your hair. Don’t leave it open, otherwise your hair mask will dry out and it will be a good test for your patience to remove this hair mask from your hair.
5. Leave this mask for 2 hours and then rinse it off with tap water. Make sure you are not using too much hot water. This will result in fading your hair color and leaving your hair a bit dry.
6. Use a mild shampoo or a shampoo that is sls free to wash off the hair mask completely.
7. Now just use your favorite conditioner and you are good to flaunt your naturally colored silky hair.
What is Henna and Indigo Two Step Process and Why I Don’t Recommend That???
If you are aware of henna and indigo then you must have heard people using a two step process for enhanced effects. Now what is henna and indigo two step process??? Usually people apply this hair mask in two step process.
Step 1 : Soak henna by mixing with 1 tsp yogurt and warm water. Keep overnight and apply it the next morning. Keep henna hair mask for 2 hours and then rinse it off with water.
Step 2 : Don’t shampoo after henna instead mix indigo and water and add pinch of salt and make a thick paste. Now apply this immediately and leave it on for 1 hour and then rinse it off with water. You can use a mild shampoo and conditioner if desired.
*I don’t recommend this step because
- honestly that is just too much work
- it does not give too much enhanced results.
Instead you can absolutely mix henna and indigo together. This will help you save lot of energy and time. Plus you absolutely get the results with by mixing the two together too.
Where to Buy???
I couldn’t find indigo powder in any local stores in my city. Hence, usually I get mine from Amazon. We order this henna and indigo combo by Shagun Gold and you can get yours from here.
Notes to Keep in Mind
- Always do a patch test before using this or any other diy or product for the first time.
- Never apply henna and any other ready made hair color without the gap of at least 2 months between both. This is because unknowingly you might get allergic to other if you used the other one. Always do a patch test first.
- Use this hair masks once every 15 days until the desired color is achieved. Then you can use it once a month then limit this hair mask to once every three months.
Over to You
Hope you find this post useful. This being a completely natural way to cover your gray hair, it takes at least 4-5 applications to completely cover your gray hair but you will see difference from first time itself.
Well the secret to my mom’s beautiful jet black and healthy hair is out. Hope you take advantage of this secret recipe and benefit from this diy. Don’t forget to join our private facebook group and unlock the secret ingredients that makes this hair mask more effective and amazing.
Have a lovely day!!!